Monday, January 6, 2014

The Baby Bible

When I was just a Mommy to one little Hammerick baby, I kept a journal of our daily joys, milestones and obstacles.  Every few days I wrote down what was going on in Allie's life...whether it was her rolling over for the first time, a change in the sound of her cry, or how many times I was getting up to feed her in the middle of the night.  Everyone told me that when the second baby came around I wouldn't be doing all the things I did with the first.  I didn't believe them.  I can do it!!!  He should have what she had!  Well...I'm throwing in the towel on this one.  There is just no time, no way that I would be able to write like that now as I did with Allie.  I am going to give myself a little bit of credit however...I do have a good portion of his baby book completed!  Go me!  ...and I'm taking his sticky bellie monthly photos on time!  Go me, again!  ...AND I'm continuing to blog about our family adventures which do include my little man.  So...I do believe that deserves a pat on the back.  Although I won't be writing a novel in a journal about Ayden, his milestones and many memories will be recorded.



The journal I kept about Allie has come in quite handy.  Doing this baby thing the first time around, I felt like I had no idea what I was doing.  I couldn't go to my mom for advice about what I did as a baby.  Luckily she was admit about completing MY baby book for me (the second child) to look back in for some information.  I could only ask Todd's mom what he was like as a baby. 

A couple weeks back I had a big PANIC moment about going back to work and this kid NOT sleeping through the night yet.  Allie slept through at 13 weeks old.  Ayden was 16 weeks!  WHY IS HE NOT SLEEPING ALL NIGHT YET?!?!?  I know it's normal...blaaah-blaah-blah...but I have to work, unfortunately.  So, I got out my baby bible...Allie's journal I kept.  I found that this was the time I switched up her daily feeding schedule and we let her cry-it-out at night.  So, that's what I did. 

The next day I stretched out Ayden's feedings, put him to bed earlier, and let him cry for 30 minutes when he woke up at 3:30...and again for another 30 minutes at 4:10.  It sucked, I hated every single minute of it.  I heard every whine and every whimper.  BUT...when he woke up the next night at 3:45, he only cried for 4 minutes.  A week has gone by and some nights he will go all night without waking...others he will just wake later in the morning, but put himself back to sleep.  He still likes to be swaddled once he's asleep (I have to wait until he falls asleep to swaddle him up, otherwise he fights it and wants out, lol). 

Ayden has 6 feedings a day now and takes 4 naps during the day anywhere from 2 hours to 45 min.  My alarm goes off every morning at 6:00 am and I wake up Ayden. It's important for him to start his day at the same time (I picked 6:00 because that is the time I will need to get him up to feed him when I go back to work).  Many may thing my maternity leave is a vacation...there is no sleeping in here for me though.  I'll sacrifice sleeping in if it gets my baby to sleep all night.  Ayden's daily schedule goes something like this...

6:00 am - EATS, plays
7:30 am - nap till next feeding (Sometimes I'm lucky enough to nap too!)
9:30ish am - EATS, plays
11:00ish am - nap
1:00ish - EATS, plays
3:00 - naps
4:00 - EATS, plays
6:15 - naps
7:00 - EATS, plays
9:00 - bedtime routine, 6 oz BOTTLE
9:30ish - sleep for the night

I'm so very glad (and thankful) I have my BABY BIBLE to look back at.  It's good to know all my hours of journaling is helping me NOW.  I realize every child is different and Ayden might not do what Allie did at a particular time, but Ayden's sleep is improving...all because my baby bible gave me the answer I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment