Monday, September 16, 2013

Ayden's Birth Story

Ayden James joined our family bright and early on Friday, September 13, 2013 (yep! Friday the 13th).  Thursday night, after working a LONG day at school, then carting Allie to swim class, and dinner out afterwards at Applebee's (Allie's request), I starting having contractions at around 10:00 pm.  We called Nana and Papa to come over "just in case" anything were to happen...and at around 1:00 I decided it was time to drive to the hospital.  Todd and I contemplated when to go in...we didn't want to get there and be turned away...or have to wait half the night to get admitted.  I left our house thinking this is the last time my Allie will be an only child.  Her world is about to be turned upside down...and so is my night.
 
In triage the doctor found I was dilated to a SEVEN!  I was admitted right away.  I think I handled the contractions pretty well.  Todd said I didn't even look like I was in labor.  It must have been all those maternity squats I did during the summer.  Being at a SEVEN, I was afraid I was going to miss my opportunity to have my epidural.  I was quickly taken to room 1 and the blood work began.  After FOUR attempts to get an IV going, I waited very impatiently for the anesthesiologist to arrive. 
 

 
 
Lucky for me he made it in time...no baby just yet.  The anesthesiologist quickly rambled off all the terrible things that could happen to me as a result to having a needle shoved into my spine.  It's amazing how much you don't care when you are in pain and just want it to GO AWAY!  I signed my life away and started feeling MUCH better...very quickly!
 
Last photo of the baby bump!



About 30 or so minutes after the epidural I started feeling pain again...it went from zero to about a nine in 2 minutes.  Todd called for the nurse and the nurse immediately called for the doctor when I started pushing uncontrollably...there was no stopping me.  I wasn't about to wait around all day.  The doctor barely made it back into the room before the baby's head was crowning.  I pushed for somewhere in between 5 and 10 minutes...and at 5:02 am, our handsome little Ayden James melted our hearts forever.




Ayden weighed in at 7 lbs, 2 oz and was 20 inches long...and he was 2 full WEEKS early.  He cried and cried upon his arrival into the world.  Little buddy, I would have cried too!  That was some trip you and I had together.  I love you to pieces, but boy did you make me miserable those last 6 weeks!

I'm still amazed that this little being came from me.  Those little ears.  That little nose.  Those tiny hands grabbing my finger.  He's so sweet and precious.  He fills the other third of my heart with joy.

 
 
 

 











Allie was Ayden's first visitor.  She was SOOOO excited to meet her little baby brother.  She wanted to hold him immediately and didn't want to let anyone else have a turn.  Allie was very possessive of her little man and very content holding this precious baby on her lap. 




 
Allie received a little gift from her new brother...a personalized "big sister" necklace with her birthstone and a "big sister" cup of her very own (which she filled up with apple juice from the hospital nourishment station every day she came to visit).  Thanks Ayden for the super cool big sister present. You ROCK!

 
 
This is the first of MANY sticky bellie photo shoots. Ayden cooperated pretty well for his first sticker...until he pooped all over his onesie...and all over my bed. But, at least we got the photo!!!
 


 
All dressed to blow this pop stand and see the world outside the hospital.  Walking out of our hospital room was bitter sweet knowing that this will be my very last stay at the birthing center.  Our family of FOUR is going home, but OH how I wish I could have stayed just a little bit longer.  Giving birth wasn't so bad when the nurses took Ayden so I could sleep, gave me medication without having to remember, delivered all my meals to my bedside.  Although I don't have all those luxuries at home, it felt so good to walk into our house with little Ayden, knowing that our family is complete. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment