Saturday, March 31, 2012

Delayed Delta

Whoo-hoo!  Spring Break!  Allie and I were so excited when 3:30 rolled around on Friday afternoon.  We were headed to the airport to fly to Boston for a whole a week!  I was really looking forward to spending week with Todd, hanging out with my Boston friends, and doing whatever I wanted for the week with Allie.  I was not, however looking forward to our flight.  I haven't flown with Allie since December when she wasn't yet walking.  Now, she IS walking and I was afraid of how she would behave.  I came prepared with snacks and toys and ready to do this.  I was not prepared for the phone call I received on the way to the airport telling me that my flight was delayed by an hour and 15 minutes.  I have to tell you...I a little mad.  Having a delay with a one year old is not convenient in any way.  I had this all planned out.  We would leave at 5:30, get there at 7:30, Allie would be in bed by 8:00ish.  PERFECT!

We went through security just fine.  They didn't even test the FOUR cups of milk I had with me (we had some extra in the fridge that was going to expire).  I do have to gripe for a minute about the setup of security at the Delta terminal.  Why in the world is the family/stroller line on one side, yet they put the elevator on the complete opposite side.  This seems really dumb to me and I think about it EVERY time I go through security in Detroit.  At least they still have the family that I totally appreciate...I never have to wait in the huge security line like everyone else because Allie is my one way ticket to the front. Boston got rid of their family line...BOO!

As we were walking to the gate we thought we were going to fly from, I got ANOTHER call saying my flight was delayed until 8:45...NOOOOOO!!!!!  This can't be happening.  I got put on standby for the 8:00 flight, along with the other 19 people that had the same idea as I did.  That flight took off only 20 minutes late...they were still able to make their "on-time arrival" I'm sure.  One standby person got on.  My question is why didn't they take the pilot from that flight and put him on our flight.  The answer: because Delta still wanted to have an on-time arrival for their stats for that flight.  My flight was already lost. 

Yet again my flight was delayed for the third time.  We were now scheduled to take off at 9:45.  During our wait, Allie was very well behaved.  We ate the dinner I packed at the food court area.  At the gate I blocked her in with the stroller and my bags.  She had a small area to play in.  A brown paper bag, her sippy cups, and my cell phone kept her busy for over an hour.  There was also a perfect little ledge for her sit on which she LOVED.  Todd had told me to just go home and get a new flight for tomorrow...but I was already at the point of no return.  I was determined to just get there, and get there tonight.  My cell phone had also died at this point.  I told Todd to watch the online tracker and just show up at our usual meeting spot...hopefully I would see him soon.




We finally boarded at 9:15ish and I was really hoping that we would take off sooner than 9:45.  Well...9:45 passed, then 10:00 passed...and then 10:15 passed...UHHHH!  What is going on?!?!?!?  I just kept thinking, "This is a bad dream.  This is not really happening."  But, it was not a dream.  We were waiting on a new pilot because the pilot we were supposed to have flew too many hours due to all of the delays.  Our new pilot was called in and probably had to get dressed, maybe shower, shave and who knows what else.  I'm sure he wasn't speeding all the way to the airport to get our flight out any faster. 

We FINALLY took off at 10:40ish and Allie was beyond tired.  Almost 3 hours past her bedtime, she was whiny and cranky and ready for her crib.  She didn't want to sleep on me and wasn't about to fall asleep in the bright light that the little old lady sitting next to us turned on so she could read her book.  I politely asked her to do everyone on flight 1622 a favor and turn out the light so my screaming child could get some shut eye.

Allie fell in and out of sleep luckily while I was paralyzed, afraid to move a muscle.  We landed at 12:15 am and deplaned, but had to wait for my stroller to be brought up (of course...let's wait some more).  I had to set Allie down while I struggled to take the stroller out of the bag and set it up.  She just stood there and cried...my sad, overtired, little angel...while everyone just walked by.  I did have a couple nice people ask if I needed help.  I politely declined.  What were they going to do, pick up Allie and comfort her...no thank you.

When I saw Todd, I pretty much broke down.  I told him to quit.  I said I'm never flying again.  I hate Delta.  This was the most AWFUL experience I've had with Delta EVER!  Please, please, please....get transferred back soon.  I'm not sure how much more I can take of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment