Monday, February 13, 2012

At the Top of the World

Ever since Allie started walking, I've done a pretty good job of keeping her away from the stairs (except the one time she followed me all the up and I didn't know it)!  Whenever she would go by the steps to go upstairs, Todd and I would tell her "NO!" We didn't want her climbing and fall when we were not paying attention...especially on the hard wood floor.  Going down to the basement was never an issue because we put a gate up.  I really do not want to put a gate up at the bottom of my staircase.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  Allie is learning her boundaries in our home, what she can touch, and what she should not touch.  The stairs was a place she would never go up, because she knew she wasn't allowed to...until today...when I gave her permission.


She's been walking for a good  two months now and has gotten pretty good at it.  I decided she should start to learn how to climb the stairs in the case she decides to NOT listen to her parents one day.  I want her to be able to do so safely.  I was surprised at how well she did right away.  I'm not sure if it was the excitement of being allowed to climb up, or her determination to prove that she could do it. 

This particular trip she made it all the way up...animal crackers and all.

"I'm not waiting around then."
"You're really going to let me?"




"Hooray!  I did it!"
"Almost there..."





















Another trip up the stairs.  I sure did get my workout in today. I'm going to have buns of steel from all the stairs I'm climbing.  Allie let me get her on video on one of her dozen or so trips up.


video



Allie must have climbed the steps a couple dozen times today.  She was fast!  But now, we have a couple problems.  First, she thinks she can go back down also.  She has no fear.  She walks right up and just steps down...like she's going to magically float all the way down to the bottom.

The other problem is now all she wants to do is climb up the stairs.  Which means that I have to follow her around...a lot!  And I have to grab her before she decides to try and go back down.  I showed her how to turn around and go backwards down the steps.  It didn't really sink in yet though.  Now the bottom of our staircase looks like this.  At least it's only temporary...until the novelty wears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment