Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Birthday, Alyson Rae!

My life, my love...my Allie girl.  It feels like ETERNITY that I've waited for my precious, beautiful little GIRL (and yes, I'm not going to lie...I really, really wanted a girl, a daughter of my own).  She is my world, my love, my everything.  To think that there was a time that I was doubtful that she would bless our lives.  Our journey of her being was scary and unknown at one time, but she was worth every bit of the wait.  I truly believe that God only gives us what we can handle and everything happens for a reason (I know...cliche).  How she came to be happened for SOME reason.  Allie will always be loved, wanted and will never be taken for granted.



How I went from this...


...to this...

 




Exactly a week early, Alyson Rae Hammerick made her way into the world.  Allie was born on Wednesday, December 1, 2010 at 8:44 am.  I starting having contractions here and there at work on Tuesday...but didn't think anything of it.  I just thought they were cramps and that they would go away, just like every other time.  Around 5:00 pm they were 20 minutes apart, and by 11:00pm they were 10 minutes apart.  Todd was supposed to go in for his very first day in the Detroit office on Wednesday, however Allie had different plans for her Dada.  At that point, believe it or not, I still thought they would go away.  I was trying to not wake Todd up with my squirms of pain every 10 minutes, so I retreated to the living room couch.  Around 1:00  my contractions were about 7 minutes apart and I finally gave in.  I woke Todd up and off we went to the hospital. 

We went through the ER because it was after hours.  I chose to walk to labor and delivery. I was more comfortable standing than sitting.  To be honest I just wanted to get there and get this show on the road.  If I walked I could go at my own pace.  As I was walking through the door, I asked for my epidural (I really didn't want to miss it!)  The nurse at the check in desk replied with "You have to be admitted first, honey."  Unfortunately my show was haulted when the nurses told me they wouldn't admit me until I was dilated to a 4...I was a half...yep, a HALF!  What?  They allowed me to stay at the hospital in my fashionable gown and walk the halls for an hour...which turned out to be the longest hour of my life.  All I really remember is walking from bench to bench, enduring the most awful pain EVER.  At each bench my wonderful husband could feed me ice chips and then I was on to the next one.  After an hour had passed, I made my way back...only no one came to see me for another 30-45 minutes.  My contractions were about 4 minutes apart and I was dilated to 3.5.  I think they felt sorry for me because they admitted me.

I walked to my LDR room (labor, deliver and delivery).  Got my epidural and Todd and I were left to let nature take it's course.  Lucky for me, Allie was ready to meet her new parents.  After only 15 minutes I had Todd call for the doctor.  We were well on our way.  I pushed for 15 minutes with hardly any breaks...I wanted this torture to end as fast as it began. 






At 6 pounds 13 ounces our beautiful Allie was born.  She is our joy and happiness.  Now the rest of our lives can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment